Clarifying My Comic's Target Demographic

About two years ago, I wrote this hot-blooded gem about the comic's intended audience:


On this blog post, I just want to elaborate a bit more on why that decision was made years ago and why I still stand by it, but a bit differently. Over the span of the three years on this ambition, my art has changed, and so did my stances on what MFfHC should be. Originally, I intended the series to be a raunchy, over-the-top comedy with slight serious undertones. While the current script hasn't deviated much from the original concept, I originally left it targeting a mature audience because of the multiple avenues I would be able to take the series to that would be limited by a teen-oriented rating (if I were to be published) in order to add shock value. But as time went on, I started experimenting my material with current world issues and found that the Earthlyness of reality blended well with what started as OC's with backstories. I was also inspired by many other media and other manga before me that put so much emphasis into world building that I can't help but admit that I am enamored by it all. I wanted to give my series and anything subsequently the same respect, so giving MFfHC a mature audience demographic was the right choice when it could easily have been less than. In following the spirit of irony (which is the word I adhere to the most) I decided to contrast the light-heartedness of the source material by choosing a more deceptive approach over themes such as strife and suffering. But consequently, the deceptive approach hasn't held up too well as some of you have already seen my art and how much it leans toward semi-realism over the typical generic anime-ish art style. While some may deem it growth,  as the author and artist, I know that it's a lot more and the current project is not what I started it to be.
On the next post, I want to write about the series' title and the meaning behind it and how it will be utilized, along with some personal thoughts. It's not shocking stuff, but I don't remember writing anything about it other than asking for design advice.

Comments

Popular Posts