A Slight Redirection with Genre

Heeeello, and greetings! It's been two weeks since my last post, and I'm just swinging by to show that I'm not dead...yet. What I want to discuss is my intent on expanding this comic's genre.

Monday's Forecast For Hareyakana was advertised as primarily being a slice-of-life comedy. However, I've been thinking about broadening the comic's scope and to move beyond the horizon of gags and parody. No, this does not mean that Monday's Forecast for Hareyakana will no longer be a funny. I plan to make elements of the comic as fucking funny as I can possibly can come up with, but comedy can only take a comic so far. If I wish to make it a lot bigger than I can hope to make it, that would require expanding to other genres, which isn't something I am not against. I haven't mentioned this, but I have been coming up with material that would be considered fit for drama or tragedy. Dark and heavy stuff that deals with death, sex industry, etc. Some of the other recent material I have quietly came up with have been action-oriented and this can be reflected on some of my recent artworks and sketches.
Does this look like a comedy?
The reason why I came to this conclusion that Monday's Forecast for Hareyakana should be much more is because of the potential level of depth with the current cast of characters. A Chinese, homeless immigrant? Imagine what her back story is like. What were the circumstances that made here homeless? How did she cope? How did her experiences as a homeless girl define her? A young, bipolar Japanese girl who knows martial arts? Why is she bipolar? Why does she wear a wig? What purpose is her will to fight? An amorphous alien girl? Well, you kinda get the meaning.

These characters all have back stories that have the potential to develop them further throughout the comic, as well as expand this universe while possibly introducing brand new characters along the way. The possibilities are near limitless (especially when you have a character who is a goddamn alien)!

So from here on out, I am closing down this blog, and hereby announce my withdrawal from making comics and art to pursue a life-long, dead-end career as a retail jockey.

Hah! Just kidding. (No offense to retail workers)

Monday's Forecast for Hareyakana is now an action, comedy, drama, thriller, horror, yellow, green, blue, purple----AAAAAGH!! SHIT SHIT SHIT!-----oriented slice-of-life comic.

Fuck. You know what? Let's stop talking about the genre. Monday's Forecast for Hareyakana is whatever you define it to be.

Comments

Popular Posts