Is it weird to have a story's setting in a country you are not from?

My comic takes place in modern day Japan and most of my characters are Japanese. However, the catch is that I'm not Japanese. I was born and raised in New Jersey to non-Japanese immigrants and my knowledge of Japan is limited to some pop culture and information procured from the internet and media. I plan on learning Japanese sometime after picking up Mandarin, but the point that has been bothering me is whether or not it is weird to write a comic about a country I have never stepped foot in.

What do people think? What would a native Japanese person think?

Edit 11:39PM:

I forgot to leave some important information for those who don't know what it's about. My comic is an action/comedy/drama that centers around four specific characters (two native Japanese siblings, an illegal Chinese immigrant, and an alien princess) and the life they live together within an unrecognized city in Japan called Hareyakana.

Comments

Popular Posts