Plot Discussion for "Monday's Forecast for Hareyakana City"

Howdy folks, discussion time. As with what the post's title says, I'm here to discuss the plot. For the psychos who read any of my crap, MFfHC will be episodic in structure, where the plot, or lack-of, will be transparent. It'll be like the Saturday morning cartoons you've enjoyed as a child where every chapter is a new adventure. If you're expecting Oscar-worthy material, then you've come to the wrong blog. I'm just some talentless college idiot with a digital art tablet and a pocket-full of dreams. Don't expect much from me, bro.

Moving on from the self-beating, the reason why I don't want to make one single, grand plot-line is because of how much of a bummer the experience would be once it ends. Have you ever watched an awesome series, movie, or read an awesome book and feel crummy afterwards once you've finished it? I feel it all the time, and it sucks. By making every single chapter a brand new experience, the fun never ends. Believe me, there will be a plot, but it will be what I call a "transparent plot" of the likes of Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo, where each episode is it's own thing, but still follows a chronology. Bebop and Champloo's method makes their anime much more re-watchable and I want to implement that sort of strategy into my own manga. Both anime are huge inspirations of mine.

THE FOCUS:

Moving on towards content, MFfHC is a slice of life comedy. The characters engage in wacky antics, shit goes down, and everything is all good (or not) the next day. The antics may be over-the-top, supernatural, or grounded in reality. Diversity is the key in MFfHC and no chapter will be like the other. My goal is to keep others surprised and hooked, but through unconventional means and avoid typical anime and manga tropes to stay fresh. Otherwise, what's the point in trying? It's easy to make something generic, but where's the soul?

Anyway, I'm still currently working on my drawing skills. Okay, I admit it, I haven't started writing the script (which will be the easy part), but I have a hold of what it will be through notes I've taken down from ideas I've made. It is a project I've started almost a year ago and I'm just some guy who's not a professional. Usually manga's are made by a team of experienced professionals who attended art school and cram out pages a day while getting very little sleep. I'm not like that, (sans the lack of sleep part) but I'm doing the best I can. After all, this is only a side gig, a hobby if you will.

I wish I could show some of those notes mentioned before, but I don't want anybody stealing my lame ideas for their own lame indie manga. I hope some of my artworks can give you an idea of the type of atmosphere the manga will bring, but until I can give further details, I apologize for the lack of info and my dumb post. If wasting your time was part of my intentions, then I'm sad to say, mission accomplished.

UPDATE:

Expect a second deviation dumping ground tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts